One Sunday early in December, our teachers announced that we would be working on a special project for our church – we were going to help create Chrismon ornaments. As children we laughed, thinking the teachers were mispronouncing the word Christmas, but no, the teachers explained that Chrismon is a Latin word meaning Christ’s monogram. It was used by early Christians to share their faith. The Chrismons were to be made of gold and white materials – gold for God’s glory and white for God being the Light of the World.
As we look at the early years of our church’s history (1925-1955), it would be incomplete if we did not include the story of Scouting at Peachtree Road. Scouting, with its emphasis on youth participation in a faith-based environment, was instrumental in bringing many families into the church for membership in the 40s and 50s.
As Peachtree Road United Methodist Church celebrates one hundred years of active ministry, it must recognize the service and invaluable support women have contributed to its success from the very beginning. In those early days in 1925, nineteen citizens of the Buckhead neighborhood in Atlanta committed to become charter members of the proposed Peachtree Methodist Church South. Thirteen of the charter members were women!