As we look at the early years of our church’s history (1925-1955), it would be incomplete if we did not include the story of Scouting at Peachtree Road. Scouting, with its emphasis on youth participation in a faith-based environment, was instrumental in bringing many families into the church for membership in the 40s and 50s.
As Peachtree Road United Methodist Church celebrates one hundred years of active ministry, it must recognize the service and invaluable support women have contributed to its success from the very beginning. In those early days in 1925, nineteen citizens of the Buckhead neighborhood in Atlanta committed to become charter members of the proposed Peachtree Methodist Church South. Thirteen of the charter members were women!
Today, our church has over 70 rooms suitable for Sunday School classes serving every age group from infants to centenarians. A hundred years ago, there was nothing. Nothing except the desire to provide a Methodist worship experience to a blossoming part of our city, to worship our Savior together, and to be part of a community of believers.
There is romance in building a bridge, a factory… a school, anything which develops community…. But the romance of building a church is greater still. Now these various fabrics have been fashioned into a shrine beneath whose high and hospitable roof
man engage in the highest act of which men are capable, communion with the infinite and eternal Creator Spirit whom our spirits are akin.
The Woman’s Missionary Society First BaptismsCordelia Ann Salter and Ann Cora Cornwall, infant granddaughters of Dr. and Mrs. Salter, were baptized on May 5, 1925 in the Salter home. First BuildingDescribed as a tabernacle, a chapel with a roof and floor, was completed in June 1925. First Board of StewardsThe first Board of Stewards were: … Read more
by Betty Lee Kennedy It was late March in 1949. Peachtree Road United Methodist Church was about to install a steeple with a lighted cross, the crowning glory on the newly constructed sanctuary. My father-in-law, Clyde M. Kennedy, Jr., was Chairman of the Building Committee, and he was thrilled to be watching the final steps … Read more